TRANSPORTATION OF STUDENTS:
A student being transported on district provided transportation is required to comply with the Student Code of Conduct. Any student who fails to comply with the Student Code of Conduct may be denied transportation services and shall be subject to disciplinary action.
The following rules shall apply to student conduct on district transportation:
1. Students being transported are under authority of the bus driver;
2. Fighting, wrestling or boisterous activity is prohibited on the bus;
3. Students will use the emergency door only in case of emergency;
4. Students will be on time for the bus, both morning and evening;
5. Students will not bring firearms, weapons or other potentially hazardous material on the bus;
6. Students will not bring animals, except approved assistance guide animals on the bus;
7. Students will remain seated while bus is in motion;
8. Students may be assigned seats by the bus driver;
9. When necessary to cross the road, students will cross in front of the bus or as instructed by the bus driver;
10. Students will not extend their hands, arms or heads through bus windows;
11. Students will have written permission to leave the bus other than for home or school;
12. Students will converse in normal tones; loud or vulgar language is prohibited;
13. Students will not open or close windows without permission of the driver,
14. Students will keep the bus clean and must refrain from damaging it;
15. Students will be courteous to the driver, fellow students and passers-by;
16. Students who refuse to promptly obey the directions of the driver or refuse to obey regulations may forfeit their privilege to ride on the buses.DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURES FOR VIOLATIONS OF TRANSPORTATION RULES:
The following procedures shall be followed when a discipline concern arises on a vehicle serving a regular route or an extracurricular activity:
First and Second Citation:
Warning: The driver verbally restates behavior expectations and issues a warning citation.
The student is suspended from the bus until a conference, arranged by the transportation supervisor, has been held with the student, the parent, the bus driver, the transportation supervisor and the principal.
Fourth Citation of the Year:
The student receives a five to ten-day suspension and will not be able to ride the bus until a conference, arranged by the transportation supervisor, has been held with the student, the parent, the bus driver, the transportation supervisor and the principal. At this time a behavior contract will be made with the student and a bus seat may be assigned. Further violations of bus regulations will be considered a severe violation.
Any severe violation will result in the immediate suspension of the student for a minimum of 10 days and up to a one-year expulsion. There will be a hearing at this time, arranged by the transportation supervisor, involving the student, the bus driver, the transportation supervisor, the parent and the principal.
In all instances, the appeal process may be used if the student and/or parent desires. Disciplinary sanctions and changes in transportation for a student with a disability shall be made in accordance with the provisions of the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) for students considered disabled under IDEA or the individually designed program for students considered disabled under Section 504 and in accordance with Board adopted policies and procedures governing the discipline of disabled students.