In the year of 1853, John Perdue, his wife, the former Mary Mills, and their children came to make their home in what is now known as Days Creek. They had come the Roseburg area two years earlier from Missouri, although they were both Virginia born. Since both of them came from a long line of ministers and educators, they felt that their children, as well as others in the neighborhood, should begin school. There was as yet no organized district within travelling distance, so Mr. Perdue started teaching classes in their small log cabin, which was located not far from the present intersection of Days Creek Road and the state highway. In 1856, the first school district was formed with David Fate, Ike Boyle, and Mr. Perdue as members of the first Board of Directors. George T. Day, from whom Days Creek eventually took its name, donated a plot of land near the falls in Days Creek and soon a log school house was erected. G.W. Marshall was the first teacher at the school, which held a three month session in the summer. That time of year was ideal because the river was fordable and most trails were passable. Mr. Marshall was paid by subscription with each family giving $20.00 for the term. The families also took turns providing room and board for the teacher.
In 1870 and item in "The Roseburg Ensign" tells of the burning of the aforementioned school building on March 23rd. The cause was probable arson because all of the books and supplies had been removed prior to the fire. By that time the term had been extended to six months; three in spring and three in fall. In a short time a new school was built of sawed lumber, board and bannen style, located at the back of what is now known as the old school grounds, adjacent to the bridge over Days Creek. There were as many as seventy pupils, ranging from five to twenty years in age. Since the teacher often went far afield of the three R's, teaching higher mathematics, Latin, and other complicated subjects, the older students were often pressed into service as assistants to the younger ones.
The school supervisor, upon visiting the school in 1897, found the school teacher, Thurman Chaney, who was later County School Superintendent, overwhelmed by eight grades as well as additional work for advanced pupils. He made the reccommendation that Mr. Chaney have an assistant. Ada Amith Raymond took that position at the age of 17. For three months of the spring term she held classes in a lean-to build on the side of the original building. Some of the directors, upon learning of her youth, decided that a more mature teacher should be hired. The next term found Ada teaching in a school near Roseburg.
When the Perdue, Lavadour, Worthington, and Days Creek school districts consolidated in 1921, temporary buildings were constructed to house the additional students. These buildings supplemeneted the latest school house built by Joe A. Snyder and Lewis P. Chapman in the late 1890s. A four year high school had been inaugurated at Days Creek with classes held at what is now the Ward home. Miss Ruby Coryell of Myrtle Creek was the instructor. Prior to this time, upon completion of the tenth grade, students would have to go elsewhere to continue their education.
In 1927, the first part of the present building was built. It consisted of four rooms and an office that doubled as a science lab. Mr. Nagel was that first principal of the new building. The following year Carl C. Hill was persuaded to come to Days Creek from Glide, where he had lived for several years. Under his leadership the school expanded steadily. One of his fisrt changes was the inclusion of the Tiller/Drew students. The Oak Knoll district from upper Days Creek also came into this school district. A part of the western end of the district withdrew and joined the eastern branch of the Canyonville district. A few years later they came back to Days Creek.